Thursday, April 16, 2009

Creepy, creepy...

So I have not blogged in two weeks. I started doing this to help me with my writing. I want to keep the creative juices flowing. I just haven't stumbled onto a topic lately that I wanted to write about.

This morning I told myself that I would just type. See what came out. Then I thought about what I watched on Oprah yesterday. The show was about sexual predators and how to help your children beware of the dangers on the internet. I am going to save this subject for a later post because something just happened that I want to share.

I just called 911 about 20 minutes ago. J and I were on the phone and the doorbell rings. While I am on the line I walk over to the door (far enough away so the person can not see me) and look through the window to see who it is. The man behind the door was over the age of 55 with a State Farm badge on his shirt (State Farm is our insurance carrier). I asked Jason if we were expecting anyone to come by. He said no. He did not ring the bell again. He just stood there. I went upstairs and got a good look at his car. It was a 4 door sedan with a white magnetic-type sign that said "Insurance Inspector" in bold black letters.

He was at my door for over 3 minutes, maybe 5. He only rang the doorbell once. I stayed on the phone with J. He finally drove away. He didn't leave a brochure like he was selling something. He didn't leave a note- like he was following up on some type of business.

J called our State Farm rep to see if they were sending anyone over. He left a message. I called 911 to report this suspicious character.

So maybe it was nothing. 20 minutes earlier I hollered across the street to a man walking around my neighbors yard (checking her mailbox, etc.) wearing all black with a heavy jacket with his hood on his head. "Hey Sam?" (That's the name of my neighbor's handyman.) He turned and waved. He took off his hood. Ok. It was Sam. So maybe I was already suspicious of the world from that incident. Maybe this whole ordeal was nothing.

But what if my name was front page news tomorrow because I opened that door.

I called 911. I did my part. I still got in my car after the guy was gone for about 5 minutes and drove around my neighborhood looking for his car. Nope. He was nowhere to be found.

Lock your doors even when you are home. You don't have to open the door just because someone is standing there.

This morning I felt a tad bit compelled to open the door just so I was not being rude. But if this guy was on the up and up, he would understand me not opening the door for him. He wouldn't want his daughter or wife opening the door for a stranger. Not rude- SAFE!

Just remembered something. While he was at the door, his head was down, looking at the ground. If he had been looking up I would have been able to identify him.

I am going to do a little research and post some websites that are helpful for keeping your families safe from the bad guys.

3 comments:

  1. It's so true we have to be extra careful these days. No one can leave the door unlocked or even open with the screen door separating them from the world outside.

    I'm thankful to live in a neighborhood now where the neighbors are so nosy that it wouldn't take a minute for the police to show up if a suspicious car drove through. But people are brazen and desperate.

    Good for you for not opening the door!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true - you never know! I always yell thru the door. hope all is ok, keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete